Friday, October 21, 2011

Social Media, the way, the truth and the light for Journalism, Public Relations, and Marketing majors.

 Jay F. Hicks came and spoke to my Journalism 2303 class this past week and gave us some advice for Journalism, Public Relations, and Marketing majors on how to do all you can to prepare ourselves for our jobs after college. I always thought just get an internship before you graduate, have a few connections and perfect your resume and you're good to go. False. Hicks informed the class on how to be the most marketable after college. What is the main thing you need to know? Social Media is key. The world is revolving around technology, so they is where the future of the job market needs to focus when we want to prepare ourselves for a future job or interview.

He mentioned a few facts about social media that I never knew such as:
  •  There are 8 million Facebook users
  • 10 billion tweets a day
  • 1 billion Youtube videos
  • 6 billion Flicker uploads
These facts are only a few of many. I was shocked with how many people in the world use the same networking, video and picture sites.  With this technology right in front of us, it is so easy to get a hold of anyone else in the world. So with this power, we should make the best use out of it as we can. Hicks recommended that we have multiple blogs, one "me" blog, one "passion" blog and a "professional" blog. We are suggested to have a personal twitter and a professional twitter. With these outlets of our thoughts and works, we can share and show the world all we can do. Hicks has done all of this and made himself known.


"Google is the way, the truth, and the light for bloggers." -Jay F. Hicks

This quote from Hicks really stuck out to me, because I never realized how much I needed to be plugged into all the social media that I can be plugged into. Google is so much more than a search engine. It has everything you need on the internet, search engine, maps, translator, videos, news, shopping and images to name a few. Google is a really powerful resource, which means that all other media is important to me as a Public Relations major and a Marketing minor. 

I found his presentation very useful and beneficial to my post graduate life. I know it is a long way from now, but you can never be too prepared, especially since we have been getting prepared for this all of our life. So, I better go start preparing for my future by starting to plug myself into all of these different social medias. I need a job after college, Baylor is expensive and my parents wouldn't be too pleased. So here I go, wish me luck!                                                                                                                                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment